Gutters are essential to any home, but they can be especially vulnerable to damage from hail storms. Hail can dent, puncture, or even destroy trenches, leaving your home unprotected from the elements.
If you live in an area prone to hail storms, investing in hail-proof gutters is essential. Hail-proof gutters are made from durable materials that can withstand the impact of even the most significant hail stones. They also feature special features that help to prevent hail from clogging your gutters.
Here are some of the benefits of installing hail-proof gutters:
- Protect your home from water damage. When gutters are damaged by hail, they can no longer appropriately direct water away from your home. This can lead to water pooling around your foundation, which can cause flooding and other water damage. Hail-proof gutters can help to protect your home from this damage by ensuring that water is always correctly diverted away from your foundation.
- Prevent gutter clogs. Hail can also clog your gutters with leaves, twigs, and other debris. This can lead to water overflowing from your gutters, damaging your roof and siding. Hail-proof channels feature special features that help to prevent leaves and other debris from clogging your drains, even during hail storms.
- Reduce the need for gutter repairs and replacements. Hail can damage your gutters over time, requiring costly repairs or replacements. Hail-proof gutters are designed to last, so you won’t have to worry about them being damaged by hail.
- Improve the value of your home. Hail-proof gutters can make your home more attractive to potential buyers and increase its value.
How to choose the proper hail-proof gutters
There are several different types of hail-proof gutters available on the market. When choosing the proper channels for your home, it’s essential to consider the following factors:
- Material. Hail-proof gutters are typically made from aluminum, copper, or galvalume. Aluminum is a lightweight and affordable material, but copper and galvalume are more durable. Copper is a durable and attractive material but is also more expensive than aluminum. Galvalume is a steel alloy that is coated with zinc and aluminum. It is a durable and affordable material often used for commercial and industrial applications.
- Thickness. The thickness of the gutter material is also essential. Hail-proof gutters should be made from a material at least 0.024 inches thick. This will help to ensure that the drains can withstand the impact of hail stones.
- Features. Some hail-proof gutters come with additional features that can help to improve their performance and durability. For example, some channels have a special coating that helps to prevent rust and corrosion. Other tracks have a built-in gutter guard that helps to prevent leaves and other debris from clogging the drains.
How to install hail-proof gutters
Installing hail-proof gutters is a relatively simple process. However, following the manufacturer’s instructions carefully ensures the gutters are correctly installed.
Here is a general overview of the installation process:
- Measure the length of your roofline and mark the locations where the gutters will be installed.
- Install gutter hangers at the marked locations.
- Cut the gutter sections to size and attach them to the gutter hangers.
- Install downspouts at the ends of the gutters and direct them away from your foundation.
- Seal all of the joints and connections with gutter sealant.
Maintaining hail-proof gutters
Once your hail-proof gutters are installed, it’s vital to maintain them properly to ensure that they continue to perform well. Here are some tips for keeping your hail-proof gutters:
- Clean your gutters regularly. Remove any leaves, twigs, or other debris from your gutters regularly. This will help prevent clogs and ensure water flows freely through your drains.
- Inspect your gutters for damage. Inspect your gutters for damage after hail storms and other severe weather events. If you find any damage, repair it immediately.
- Have your gutters professionally cleaned and inspected annually. It’s a good idea to have your drains professionally cleaned and inspected at least once yearly. This will help identify potential problems early on and prevent them from causing significant damage.
Hail-proof gutters are an intelligent investment for homeowners living in areas prone to hail storms. Hail-proof gutters can help protect your home from water damage, prevent gutter clogs, and reduce the need for gutter repairs and replacements. When choosing hail-proof gutters, consider the material, thickness, and features. It’s also essential to install and maintain your hail-proof gutters properly to ensure they continue performing well.